Click "Next" or "Prev" to see the pictures, Click the picture to launch the album

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

So how?

As a foreigner in Singapore I have experienced a bewildering array of Singlish terms, but one of them stands out in its sheer brilliance and brevity. This phrase can be used to express an astonishing wide array of meanings, used at any appropriate time, and the gives the user complete semantic power to make several of inquisitions in the language obsolete. "So how?" is a brilliant attempt at getting rid of all other forms of inquiry in the English language. It could mean "What is up?", it could mean "what to do now?", heck, it could even mean "what bus do we take to go the place we were talking about?" Last summer, I was in the process of selling my phone, and a Singaporean friend wanted to ask me about my progress on the matter. He of course did not resort to a question as banal as "How's your phone selling coming along?" Instead, he uttered four words of such brilliance that I was taken aback by the magnificence of the structure. Four words, innocuous alone, the juxtaposition of which created a force so powerful that linguists all over the world would bow down in subservience. Those four words were of course : "So your phone how?"
Absolutely brilliant is all I can say, such a great charm the Singaporeans have for taking brevity of sentences to heights never imagined by others in many lifetimes. If I were to come up with a way to make my sentences shorter I would attempt in vain to abbreviate everything resulting in an incomprehensible concoction of letters that would take much more time in explaining to the audience than it would to say the appropriate sentence. My friend on the other hand exhibited a rare talent that is bar none, and for that, I salute him.

No comments: